The Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC), an independent body set up by the UN, has commissioned a startling report showing children doing the Leaving Cert undergo more human rights violations than children working in sweat shops.
Francois Rousseau, a specialist in child rights, issued a 96-page report to the UN, pleading for action to be taken. Here are some of the points, Mr Rousseau mentioned:
- Leaving Cert (LC) children need to learn up to 7 subjects whereas Sweat Shop (SS) children often need only to learn a single task that they repeat over and over.
- LC Children often have to carry schoolbags weighing more than the body-weight of many SS Children for many hours of the day.
- LC children must also carry this dangerously heavy weight while walking from room to room, often covering several kilometres a day and causing permanent damage to their back; SS children do not need to move at all during the day.
- LC children suffer far more psychological damage from the stress and anxiety caused by the unrealistic expectations from parents and teachers.
- LC children are forced to endure a tedious indoctrination, learning useless propaganda like calculus and poetry, whereas SS Children are often taught practical work-based skills such as working to a fixed deadline and team building skills.
- LC children have to continue working and studying long after they leave school; whereas SS children are free to do as they please after they work their 18 hour shift.
“It’s well gay. It like totally not fair. We like don’t have any time to like hangout with friends and stuff cos we like have so much homework.” Said Danny Maguire, a Leaving Cert student from Donnybrook.
Minister of Education, Ruairi Quinn is rumoured to have been taken in by Gardai and is expected to be taken to The Hague where he may have to stand trial due to the number of human rights violations inflicted by the current Leaving Cert system.
Join us on Facebook